Update: Suspect in Triple Homicide Case Now in Custody on Other Charges


Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre reported the arrest of a man who is now a suspect in the ongoing investigation into Sunday’s triple homicide of a Lockport woman and her two daughters. David Brown (W/M, D.O.B. 11/14/77) of Houma has been arrested on charges of unauthorized entry and simple battery stemming from a separate incident. Detectives say Brown is a suspect in the investigation into the murder of 29-year-old Jacquelin Gautreaux Nieves and her two daughters, 6-year-old Gabriela Nieves and 20-month-old Izabela Nieves.

Carlos Nieves Jr., Jacquelin’s husband and father to Gabriela and Izabela, was initially considered a person of interest in the crime and was questioned by detectives for several hours on Sunday. Detectives say he was cooperative, and there is currently no evidence implicating him in the crime.

Detectives made contact with David Brown on Sunday, and he was transported to the Criminal Operations Center for questioning. When questioned about the triple homicide, he invoked his right to counsel. He was arrested on charges of unauthorized entry into an inhabited dwelling and simple battery stemming from an incident the night of the murders wherein he entered an adjacent apartment and committed a battery on another person within the apartment. He was booked into the Lafourche Parish Detention Center is currently being held on $110,000 bond for the charges. He cannot be released, however, due to an additional hold placed by the Louisiana Department of Probation and Parole. Brown has an extensive and violent criminal history dating back to 1994.

“We have compelling evidence at this point, and we are working diligently to develop additional leads and forensics that further solidify David Brown’s involvement in this horrific crime,” said Sheriff Craig Webre. “As the investigation continues, we expect to bring additional charges relative to the murders and possibly additional related crimes.”

“This is a shocking crime for this community,” continued Sheriff Webre. I am extremely proud of job done by our detectives and deputies who worked steadfastly throughout the day Sunday and into the night to ensure we would apprehend the responsible party while building an air-tight, prosecutable case. I want to also thank Chief Warren Vedros and the Lockport Police Department, as well as the Lockport Volunteer Fire Department and the Office of the State Fire Marshal for their assistance and support during this complicated and tedious investigation.”

“I want to thank everyone for their hard work on this case,” said Chief Vedros. “I’m overwhelmed with the amount of support we have received during this difficult time for our community.”

Update: Suspect in Triple Homicide Case Now in Custody on Other Charges