Lafourche Parish Sheriff Craig Webre announced no charges have been filed in what has determined to be an accidental shooting that took place at a Thibodaux residence on March 13, 2020.
At 11:32 a.m. on Friday, March 13, a man called 911 in reference to a woman being shot in the torso after a gun had discharged. The woman was transported via helicopter to a hospital for treatment. She is expected to recover.
Through investigation, detectives learned that the woman’s husband was attempting to show her how to use the weapon when it discharged, striking her in the upper chest. Detectives have found no evidence of foul play, and the shooting has been determined to be accidental.
Sheriff Webre encourages citizens to always utilize proper gun safety techniques:
- Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
- Always keep the muzzle of the firearm pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger and outside the trigger guard unless you intend to fire the weapon.
- If there are children in the home, use child safety locks or other locking mechanisms on your firearms and/or keep your firearms locked in a secure location accessible to adults only. Keep your ammunition locked in a secure location away from the firearms.
- Wear appropriate ear and eye protection when discharging the firearm.