Due to the overwhelming response for our upcoming concealed handgun training course on September 12, 2020, the Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office will host another class on the following day – Sunday, September 13. Registration for the course on Saturday, September 12 is closed due to the class being at capacity, but online registration is now open for the Sunday course.
As always, this class will be held at the LPSO Shooting Range Facility located at 3451 Highway 182 in Raceland. Class will begin at 8:00 a.m. and last until approximately 5:00 p.m. with a break for lunch.
The course will include the following:
- One hour of instruction on handgun nomenclature and safe handling procedures of a revolver and semi-automatic pistol.
- One hour of instruction on ammunition knowledge and fundamentals of pistol shooting.
- Three hours of instruction on the use of deadly force and conflict resolution. (Includes a review of R.S. 14:18 through 14:22 and which may include a review of any other laws relating to the use of deadly force)
- One hour of instruction on handgun shooting positions.
- One hour of instruction on child access prevention.
- Two hours of actual live range fire and proper handgun cleaning procedures. Live range fire shall include 12 rounds each at 5 feet, 10 feet, and 15 feet for a total of 36 rounds.
- Must perform at least one safe reload of the handgun at each distance.
- Must score 100% hits within the silhouette portion of an NRA B-27 type silhouette target with 36 rounds.
Participants will need to bring a handgun in good working condition, 50 rounds of ammunition for that handgun, eye protection (sunglasses or eyeglasses are sufficient), and ear protection (muffs or plugs). All individuals must wear a mask or face covering while in the classroom or the range office. Masks or face coverings are not required on the pistol ranges for those adhering to proper physical distancing.
The cost for the course is $110, and advance online registration is required due to limited class size. This course is a pre-requisite for those applying for a Concealed Handgun Permit from the State of Louisiana. Go to LPSO.net/classes to register for this course online. For more information, please contact Captain Lafate Day at (985) 449-4485 or by email at email@example.com.